Connally had a helluva summer. For those of you who don't know, Connally was admitted to Texas Children's Hospital right after Lucy's birthday party. It was due to an infection in her joint and bone in her pelvic region. This all came about because of a relatively high fever, as well as she stopped crawling, walking and sitting. Below is a summary from an email that Garrick sent out. It describes it much better than I can.
" Dear Family and Friends,
Courtney, Lucy, Connally and I would like to thank everyone for your supportand thoughts. We have a house full of foods and goodies that is generously overflowing our kitchen. Does anyone needs a snack break?...come on over. Connally finally had the opportunity to come back home late Wednesday. Ifyou do not know, Connally was having difficulty standing and putting weighton her limbs. She had a quick visit with the local pediatrician and was told to go directly to Texas Children's Hospital<http://www.texaschildrenshospital.org/> emergency center ASAP to run more tests (this all late Thursday). The first diagnoses was a Urinary<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Urinary+Tract+Infection&btnG=Search>Tract Infection (UTI) followed by more tests. Poor girl was pricked and prodded more this day than I have in my lifetime. A MRI was scheduled Friday which revealed Iliac<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=iliac+osteomyelitis&btnG=Google+Search> Osteomyelitis, basically a bone and joint infection. Monday a PICC<http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=PICC+line> line was insertedin her arm that travels very close to the heart which helps administer her antibiotics. Tuesday the doctors took an ultrasound and VCUG to make sure the kidneys were not taking back-flow from the bladder. With the positive prognosis, Connally was released Wednesday. Connally and mom are at home now administrating the meds. We have an I.V.pump, a box of antibiotics, syringes, tubing, rubber gloves and anassortment of stuff I have no idea what it is. She goes through three rounds of meds a day, 6am, 2 pm and 10 pm. She is pumped with Clindamycin<http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=Clindamycin&btnG=Google+Search> , three times daily, and Ceftriaxone<http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=Ceftriaxone> , once daily. Connally has vastly improved since last Thursday. She was up and standing this morning and crawling all over the house like she has done in the past. The smiles are back but gosh, she still prefers her mother over me! Treatment will proceed for another three or four weeks overseen by an in-home-nurse that visits every few days or so to make sure we do not screw anything up and clean her dressings. Everyone is doing well and life is slowly back to normal. Courtney's emotions are getting back in check but is probably due for another cry,sweetie, I love you and I'll be home shortly to bring you girls lunch. Lucy, I believe, is very curious and very aware of what is going on with her baby sister. She has been up both mornings somewhat helping the med pumping...very unusual for our late sleeper. I'm doing well trying to keep all my estrogen laden household in check. For some reason the TexasChildren's Hospital doctors think Courtney and I can play doctor too. Canyou imagine trying to keep Connally from wiggling out of her I.V. while cleaning the tubing and syringes, flushing the lines and setting up the I.V.pump and trying to get the damn thing to work!
What you have done for us is immeasurable and we deeply thank all of you.
Garrick, Courtney, Lucy and Connally"
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment